Monday 20 August 2012

Woodward Dream Cruise

While I can't bring you the smell of the petrol fumes and the reeving of the engines both old and new this is a somewhat small showing of the Woodward Dream Cruise. You might not necessarily be into old cars - and don't get me wrong I know very little about them myself, but I boy can I appreciate a old pretty car and have somewhat longings to own one someday. I've always been exposed to old cars with my uncle doing 1930s cars up and my former neighbour in the UK owning three old cars himself and working on them. I always find older cars to have more style compared to their modern counterparts.

So on Saturday me and the boy took ourselves to sitting by the roadside along Woodward Avenue watching the 18th Dream Cruise. You might wonder what the Dream Cruise actually is - but it's the worlds largest one day celebration of classic old cars. It's part rally, part cruising, part pretty cars parked up along the 16 miles between Ponatic and into Detroit here in Michigan. And why in Metro Detroit? Because here in Detroit we're home to the birth of the automotive - we're the Motor City.

They don't close the road down so you'll find the typical road user [most normal/sane drivers find alternative routes] trying to rev up their engine against original Model-T's, Packards, muscle cars, hot rods to the newest Ford releases. People travel from all around the country, even stated the world just to attend this event and it's certainly more hands on then the British affair of just parking old cars up in a field. It was just a delight watching them drive by.
On the night we headed down to Ferndale for drinks which was running as the end of the Dream Cruise - Ford had a big display of their latest models with a funfair and music. Pretty fun way to experience my first dream cruise. Especially when we headed home with a load of walnut and chocolate shortcake fudge.

Hope you all had exciting weekends!

11 comments:

  1. Haha some of those card are so fab. I'm a bit of a boy when it comes to cars, massive petrol head on the sly. I'd have loved to see this! x
    Island Girl Insights ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah even as a not very big petrol head it was so much fun!

      Delete
  2. My dad loves cars and although i don't have the exact same passion i can appreciate a beautifully made vehicle !
    Love the old fire engine :)
    Launa in Ponderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so great isn't it, and so much better to see such old cars on the road rather then shut away in museums.

      Delete
  3. I love that bright yellow truck. If I moved to America I would have to get a truck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oddly can't say i've seen many hot rod trucks around normally.

      Delete
  4. My favourite has to be the old fire engine!! Although that being said who wouldn't want their own cola fridge?!? :-) Old cars are beautiful - would infinitely prefer a classic to a modern car - shame I can't drive!! Lol

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun weekend!! I am all about sweet classic cars!! They are as fun to see, as to drive! Happy Monday to you! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love vintage cars! I'm like you: I'm certainly not an expert, but I know beautiful design when I see it. I love vintage vehicles so much I looked for a vintage Caddy to use as a getaway car when I got married! We found the perfect one, and it was a neat experience: worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of the cruise. Looks like you had a wonderful time. :) My fiance and I go every year. This year he was able to cruise down with his Mustang that he had been working on forever. It was lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete