Friday 28 March 2014

FOOD: Mango Chicken Curry

Mango Chicken Curry

It's high time I shared my favorite curry recipe, the fact that we have a home made curry, made from scratch every Wednesday seems to pass by a lot on my blog. Admittedly I have selfish reasons of the page the recipe is on is very well worn out after getting stuck to another page, so this is for my own records as much is it is for sharing with you all.

It's a pretty straight forward curry recipe typically using the spices you should already have if curry making is your thing. It's sweet, mild and full of flavor. While it takes a bit in preparation, it's quick to cook and well worth the time. 

1 medium mango (go by your personal taste by how ripe you want it)
1 good sized chicken thigh or breast
1/4 teaspoon of onion seeds
1 teaspoon fresh ginger pulp
1/2 teaspoon of fresh garlic pulp
1 teaspoon of chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
2 tablespoons of oil (vegetable, corn or peanut - whatever you have) 
4 curry leaves (or a teaspoon of curry powder)
1 large onion
1 cup of water
2 medium tomatoes
2 medium green chilli's seeded and chopped
1 good sized teaspoon of dry cilantro (2 tablespoons if you have it fresh) also note coriander is often known as cilantro in the US

First things first, peel the mango and slice into blocks and divided into two. Take one of the piles and place into a bowl, adding in the chicken cubes, onion seeds, ginger, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric and ground coriander and mix well. 

Mango Chicken Curry Mango Chicken Curry

In your pan, heat the oil and pop in the sliced onions, once golden add in the curry leaves (which I never have to use about a teaspoon of curry powder instead). Gradually add in the chicken pieces and finish off with pouring in the water. Lower the heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, string every now and again until the chicken is cooked and the water has been absorbed. 

Once the 15 minutes have passed, add in the remain half of the mango, the chopped up tomatoes, chillies and cilantro, give it a quick stir and heat through and then serve.
mango curry

This curry takes me to my happy place every time.

What are your favorite curries to make or eat?

6 comments:

  1. Kris and I are really getting into our curries at the moment, neither of us used to be a huge fan but it's nice to actually cook them. We've tried just some basic ones, mild, usually with chicken, either a korma or a coconut curry. I prefer the Thai curry taste usually.

    As I need a recipe to try out next month I think I might try this out. What do you mean by onion seeds? Apart from the obvious ;)

    (Yay, first comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha they are the obvious thing but I think they are just ground up, you should be able to find them in the spice aisle although I don't think they are that key to the recipe so you could probably do without seeing as there is actual onion in there.

      Delete
    2. Awesome. I know the dutch word for onion, now to translate the word for seeds :)

      Delete
  2. Its soooo delicious! And this is coming from the only reader here who also gets to eat the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish I like mango as this looks so bloody good! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh I love mango, this sounds amazing!! Definitely giving this a go, thank you for sharing :)

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete