Wednesday 7 August 2013

PENNSYLVANIA - Kennywood

Kennywood Kennywood Kennywood Kennywood Kennywood Kennywood

 While America has many theme-parks, only two of them are listed on the National Register of Historic Places - Kennywood located just outside of Pittsburgh is one of them. But it's history dates even prior to it's location as a theme park being the site of the 1775 Battle of the Monongahela during the French and Indian War when the British general Edward Braddock was defeated by French and Canadian troops with their Native American allies. 

But back to theme-parks .. today Kennywood is home to many historic structures and rides, many opening in the early 1900's including three working wooden coasters - The Jackrabbit opening in 1921 is one of the oldest running coasters in the world and popular for it's double dip which jumps you literally out of your seat. The Racer designed in 1927 is one of three of it's type that remain (another is, or at least was in Blackpool, UK) a twin track coaster whereby the cars race each other around the course and Thunderbolt - originally built has the Pippin in 1924 but renamed and lengthened in 1968.  

Due to the hilly terrain of Pittsburgh, coasters work in and round the steep inclines, most particularly in the case of the Phantoms Revenge which when it opened in 1991 was the world's fastest with the longest drop (228ft) into the bottom of a ravine at 85mph - at which point on our visit a guys hat flew straight off resulting in my laughing so far I ended up crying the rest the way around. 

So say I was a fan of rollar coasters prior to our Kennywood visit would be misleading, in fact I was rather apprehensive about our visit possibly because I haven't been on or visited a theme park since school trips to Flamingoland over ten years ago. But even for the non huge coaster fan it's certainly a fun place and there's more then just coasters - there's some great water rides, flying coasters to casseroles and the like. I kept telling Joe my laughing on every ride was a sign of my nerves ... I think it was a sign of just how much I was enjoying myself.

Where's your favorite theme park? Are you a lover of roller-coasters too?




5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! You always take such marvelous photos. Thanks for sharing them! And no, I am not a fan of roller coasters at all -_- I am terrified of being high up in the air and get nauseated super easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I always have issues with the inversions and just a general fear of falling out of the coaster.

      Delete
  2. These photos are lovely! I just posted about Disney's Epcot park over on my blog actually, and it's one of the more relaxing parks. I'm a thrill-seeker when it comes to rides, and my favourite park I've been to is Universal Studios in Orlando! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This takes me back to my childhood and our trips to Kennywood! I hope you had a chance to try the fries with cheese at the Potato Patch while you were there. So good, yet so bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joe made sure I tried those fries. Oh my were they good with the cheese and the bacon. I totally should of grabbed a picture of them but I was too busy filling myself with them. They were delicious!

      Delete