Tuesday 11 February 2014

ZOO TIMES: The Butterfly House

DetroitZoo DetroitZoo DetroitZoo DetroitZoo DetroitZoo DetroitZoo

Steamed up glasses and camera lenses are always worth suffering for a step inside any Butterfly House. I remember being intrigued as a young girl by one in Hornsea and then and one of my many visa travel adventures down to London enjoying an hour inside a special butterfly tent outside the British Museum to calm the nerves back in 2011.

The Detroit Zoo Butterfly House is home to about 70 different species, all free to fly around above your head in their tropical environment. During the summer months they are everywhere, but like us humans, they weren't particularly impressed with the winter chill and it actually affects how much they want to fly. Still a couple of were feeling cooperative in letting me photograph them and hopefully the next visit will be met with warmer weather and the slights of those beautiful wings.

11 comments:

  1. Ah wow, amazing photos of the butterflies - you were very lucky they stood so still! I've never been to a butterfly house but I think that is because I'm scared of moths and they're not too far apart! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, moths are a little creepy aren't they?! I'm not sure if they have moths there or not! In the summer it's wonderful when they are all just standing their with their colorful wings open warming them up!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely beautiful! We went to a "Butterfly Valley" when we were on holiday in Greece last year and I absolutely loved it, they're damn hard to get photos of though so I'm very impressed!

      Delete
    3. Luckily the ones at the zoo seem to be vain and love sunning themselves so there's always some great chances for photos!

      Delete
  2. The Butterfly house was designed by Albert Kahn. Nice pictures. If you haven't been there yet, you should check out the Conservatory and Aquarium on Belle Isle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we checked out the aquarium a year or so ago, sounds like they've been making lots of improvements and filling up more of the tanks since then so it's probably worth a return visit in the warmer months!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photographs as always. Butterflies are beautiful creatures. At school I used to draw insects for art (it was about the only thing I was good at) and I loved drawing butterflies. So colourful!

    Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love these photos! The first butterfly is amazing, it's colour is just awesome! I would have thought they would have a constant temperature in their habitat but I guess it's usually just a greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they get affected through the heat and the amount of light coming through the conservatory roof, and while it's heated it felt nothing like it does even in spring with how stuffy and warm it is. But I guss like humans they like to have some down time!

      Delete
  5. SO many pretty butterflies! and I love that shot of the peacock mosaic you took!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's just inside the entrance to the building, so pretty!

      Delete