Thursday 24 April 2014

LIFE: Harlem Globetrotters

Harlem GlobetrottersHarlem Globetrotters Harlem Globetrotters

On Saturday the Harlem Globetrotters were playing their 2014 World Tour up at The Palace in Auburn Hills. Joe managed to grab some free tickets through work, and although they were general attendance seats up on the higher levels we had a great view overlooking the court. The Globbies as they are also known these days, began in 1926 as the Savoy Big Five to promote a ballroom, now famously known as an exhibition basketball team, all about comedy and theatrical displays while throwing in some sport too.

While the matches against the All Stars are played in the original basketball format of four 10 minute quarters, it's all very stop start - filled in comedy routines, dancing, tricks and high levels of audience participation, especially for the kids, they mock and joke with the refs, hang and jump off the hoops to comcial singing. There's been a new twist with the audience being able to vote for which "rules" they want in each quarter through their website and twitter. It's all very funny to say the least even to me and I'm far from being a big sports fan (ice hockey is my exception) it was a great couple of hours of entertaining humour and athleticism and if you have kids I can imagine it being a great, inspiring night out.

Have you ever seen the Globetrotters?
signatureblog

10 comments:

  1. ah this looks like so much fun! i'm not a major sports fan in general but i actually do enjoy watching basketball! i'd love to go see a game live! :)
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wouldn't say I was a big sports fan (aside from ice hockey that's awesome to watch) but basketball is so fast paced and end to end it's pretty fun to watch!

      Delete
  2. So fun! I went to a game when I was younger and I don't remember much-- but definitely that it was fun & entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The place was full with kids - they all looked to be really enjoying themselves!

      Delete
  3. This looks brill! I know nothing about basketball but I guess you don't have to with all the fun stuff squidged in too.
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use to play basketball in high school for the last couple of years although it was always just for fun so I remember some parts of how it's played. Luckily most of the rules seem like common sense stuff! But the fun tricks and entertainment adds that something extra!

      Delete
  4. I've never been that into basketball but I always like going to different sporting events and games just to say I've tried it. Sometimes the things you think you dont like turn out to be something you really enjoy so i always like to give it a shot. I've never seen basketball in any capacity but this sounds like a lot of fun though.

    Debi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last sports game before this was to a York City match when I was about 7, it's very very rare that I go to sports stuff haha

      Delete
  5. When I was really little we went to see them, I barely remember it but I remember it being really cool! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly know how to entertain the crowd!

      Delete