Wednesday 7 May 2014

BLACKWORK: Michigan State Map

Michigan Blackwork

I've been itching to some some more blackwork for a while, constantly pinning ideas on Pinterest doesn't help matters. I've been intrigued by the use of negative space in blackwork  where by the blackwork frames the design be it a letter, a flower, or in this instance a map. While I can't claim originality on the concept of negative space in blackwork, the design is my own - the map taken from a website resource for blank maps and the block pattern just one of the hundreds of blackwork designs that are out there. As a form of embroidery, blackwork has been stitched since before Tudor age, however it's somewhat lost it's popularity and pattern books are hard to come by - on the few and far between occasions I find them at estate sales, they are like finding gold.

Michigan Blackwork

Between the Upper and Lower Peninsular's that make up Michigan are several islands - they do get blurred into the pattern somewhat but they are there if you look hard enough. Traditionally blackwork was stitched in black thread, sometimes red or gold being used to give that something extra. I was deciding for ages before I decided to go with a purple shade, a bright colour would have been great, but with only using one thread (bar the outlining which is in two) you always need to work with a colour that can stand on it's own. The finished design is framed in a 5" hoop I had on hand (yes it's another addition to the embroidery hoop wall).

Michigan Blackwork

Not that I need to give myself any more projects, but I was thinking about adding and creating some more state based designs from the states I visit as and when, perhaps even though in a map of East Yorkshire to balance it all out.

Ya know because I don't have on my crafty projects to do and all.
signatureblog

16 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I love the that you even included the islands in the design! You are so talented and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you didn't point out the islands, I would not have noticed them in the pattern. And yes, that is cool that you included them. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome!! You are so so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this. I said it once and I'll say it again - you have demonstrated immense patience with this! I've done a couple of blackwork pieces and whilst I love them at the end, the process always drives me a little bit insane. And I've certainly never been brave enough to just strike out on my own and design my own blackwork pattern.

    That does remind me though - I wanted an embroidery hoop wall. Might be time to turn back to embroidery/cross stitch once I've got these crochet orders out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean, I have some larger blackwork piece that i've been picking up and putting down for the last five years. I love it for being blackwork but sometime it can get a little too much. I do find working in long blocks helping to keep the patience going and getting into a routine with the easiest way to stitch it.

      I actually keep meaning to crochet something for the embroidery hoop wall, like hoop up a doily.

      Delete
  5. Ooh I love it! You are fantastic crafting. I love the pattern :)
    Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really cool! I may have to do some research on blackwork. I'm always looking for new stitches to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty fun to do, there's not too much information or designs out there, it's somewhat lesser known as a form of embroidery. Pinterest is always a great resource though, that and old books.

      Delete
  7. This is beautiful! I've never actually heard of blackwork before - thanks for alerting me to it! I've dabbled in a bit of cross stitch before but nothing as fancy looking at this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant and so lovely. :) I've been to Michigan in the past and it was a great time. I love how you did this, very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a really clever and unique idea! I love it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous. I love the use of negative space. I used to cross stitch but never tried blackwork. Maybe one day I'll have to pick up a needle again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Assisi blackwork! Stunning. If you're looking for more blackwork patterns, Blackwork Journey has a website and a blog and she's got a fantastic free blackwork sampler going on now called Save the Stitches. BTW, both my parents were born in Michigan and I spent all my summers there as a kid (UP).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yeah I've been eyeing up the Save the Stitches project for the last week. I was thinking about starting it because of just how quickly I'm working through projects at the moment and it would certainly slow me down!

      Delete
  12. This is fascinating, I would never have thought to do something like this! x

    ReplyDelete