Friday 7 August 2015

CREATIVE: Stitch The States

USA Map

If you remember my blackwork state designs (Michigan and Pennsylvania), you'll already know I enjoy marking the American states I get around to visiting. And perhaps how slow I am at stitching them. I've seen various ideas around of cross stitching or embroidering countries, states, cities you visited and with a spare couple of hours free the other afternoon, I thought it was high time I got around to playing around with the idea. 

USA Map

It's a funny little design because in reality, it may never be completed - completed being visiting all the US states and I'm actually okay with that. Because it's marking where I have been and it'll always be in progress.

USA Map

Because I wanted the design to be hangable even though it's not "complete" it had to be visually appealing from the off, so the design started with back stitching in some fancy pink the outline of all the states. The internet is filled with maps so make the use of them, I used this map of the US that was actually all blocked into squares which made converting it into cross stitching really easy, but if you can always print out on squared paper. Then the rest is made up of stitching your visited states in whatever colour takes your fancy. 

USA Map

As you can tell my visited states are rather Mid Western - Michigan (obvs), Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I know holiday road tripers probably cram more states in during a week than my seven in nearly four years, but hey bills and life. As for visiting and adding more, I'm not too sure when that'll happen, probably not until we save and undertake our dreamed Washington DC road trip and I'm sure a couple more states will get cross stitched in.

USA Map

Do you do anything to mark the places you've visited?

No comments:

Post a Comment