Friday 19 September 2014

BLOGGING: On Using a Bridge Camera

Bridge camera

People judge you in the blogging world. They judge you a lot. One thing you get judge about, is the camera you use. They really shouldn't, but they do. Far too often bloggers feel they need to have a DSLR to a) take "good" photographs and b) to be a "proper" blogger. As much as I would love to own and use a DSLR, I can't justify the price and I can't see me owning one for a long way, so what do I use? Well for the most part, I use my trusty Fuji bridge although not all the photographs which appear on the blog are taken with it, I throw in camera phone and our GE point and shot photographs in to mix everything up a bit.

But also a lot of people don't know about bridge cameras, so I thought I'd share some of the pros and cons of this type of camera, and if you're looking for a new one, why it might be a great camera for you.

Sunlight

Bridge cameras seem to pass a lot of people by but they are a great alternative to a DSLR for a number of reasons. Basically bridge cameras slot between your standard digital compact and your DSLR, offering in the process advantages from both. If you want the simplicity of a point and shoot, but not the price of a DSLR, a bridge might be the camera for you. 
Ren Cen
Ren Cen, Detroit

I brought my Fuji Finepix S3300 Bridge back in 2011 (I think) from Argos for about £180, they tend to be less than £300 depending on the brand and model so they are considerably cheaper than your DSLR models. With a sizable LCD screen, they can fit in a full range of focal lengths from micro through to telephoto without the need to change lens. One big advantage is that they let you shoot in manual and raw, so they can be a great basis for learning how to use a camera away from the auto settings which is something I've loved being able to do since owning my camera. But don't worry, if manual isn't your thing they offer a full range of auto settings too.

Dragonfly

Granted they can have issues in low light and they can be slow to focus - mine struggles a far bit with landscapes for whatever reason. Mine doesn't have a rechargeable battery, so it does eat them up, but nothing that can't be limited using lithium batteries. And while they are smaller and lighter than a DSLR they aren't cameras you can just throw in your pocket, so just like a DSLR if you're after sneaking some food photographs in a restaurant, they don't make it that easy to disguise.  

FortyMilePointLighthouse

For me, a bridge suits my needs as both a blogger and as someone who loves to take photographs just because, then again I'm not a typical blogger (I don't own anything by apple and I don't use instagram). But if you do want to make the step into having a camera you have more control over, but want to save pennies, a bridge might be the way to go.

So while I feel I get judged about not being "proper" because I don't have a DSLR those are the reasons why I do love using my bridge. It's practical, has the advanced settings so I have the flexibility and the opportunity to have more control over my photographs but they also take photos I'm pleased with.

17 comments:

  1. These photos are stunning and i honestly dont see the difference between them and a dslr! X sineaddreamingagain.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about bridge cameras, wish I had I would have probably got one! xo
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, I do have a DSLR camera but I try not to judge people based on their cameras or how they use said camera. For the most part, I use the autoexposure settings on my camera because for the most part, I don't feel like fiddling around with setting f-stops and shutter speeds and what not but I do know how to use those settings when I need to. For instance, around dusk (since I'm rarely up around sunrise), I will use manual settings because I don't like how autoexposure handles light (generally it is too bright for what I am trying to convey). When I started in more or less serious photography several years ago, I used my mom's Pentax (don't even get me started about the Canon Vs. Nikon debate) and it was fun. I fell out of photography for a while until I got my first digital camera. It was a Kodak point and shoot camera but I decided I wanted something more. So I got myself a Panasonic camera like yours but that opened the world to wanting to control my camera a little more. So I got my first Canon DSLR and haven't looked back since. But that kind of got me off track.

    I am a firm believer in that it doesn't matter what kind of a camera you use. Ansel Adams probably still would have gotten awesome photographs with an iPhone but much of his work was in the darkroom, so I'm sure he would have loved some of the post processing programs out there. The camera doesn't automatically make you a better photographer. That is kind of like saying that if you go out and buy Winsor Newton paints and the Kalinsky brushes, you will become Rembrandt. There are a fair number of skills required to be a good photographer. There is also recognizing the scene and how it will look. There is also knowing what will work and what doesn't work. I don't know how many times I've been photographing a night scene of the Mackinac Bridge only to see several flashes go off. I know that wont work. Even with a state of the art camera, you still need a tripod and shutter release.

    the nice thing about a camera like yours is that if you decide that you want a DSLR, it's a pretty easy transition if you've already been messing around with the f-stop and what not. So go ahead and use whatever you're comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never go around and judge people for what type of camera they use, as long as their photos look good! I mean, I've seen people who solely use their iPhones for their blog photos and they look amazing. I personally shoot with a DSLR that I've had for ages. I've bought it years ago when I wanted to get into photography properly and it serves me really well now. :)

    Elina | Miss Blue Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that photograph of the 'light', it's so beautiful.
    As someone who studied a Photography degree, I will always be of the belief that the 'camera do not maketh the Photographer'.

    Sure, with the most expensive camera, you're going to be able to have more control and perhaps a higher quality in technical terms but if you don't know much about composition, lighting or subject matter then your photographs won't be interesting, end of.

    Generally to be a blogger, having an SLR doesn't really help anything because that all comes back to content too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked into getting a DSLR camera because so many bloggers used them and I thought I needed one to take perfect blog pictures. My parents bought me a little digital camera for Christmas, it's nothing fancy or professional but it takes nice pictures and if they need a bit of tweaking I can do that online. While I'd love to have a nicer camera, like you it's difficult for me to justify spending the money on it. I'd never heard of a bridge camera though, it seems like a better option for someone like me who'd like to have something a bit more special but isn't ready to splash the cash on a camera I wouldn't know how to use properly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the light picture - it's absolutely stunning. I can't say I notice the difference either :)

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally I don't really think about what camera the bloggers I follow use unless they are specifically a photography blog. The photos you have here are beautiful and a lot of that is that you seem to have a real eye for composition and colour, something a camera can't compensate for regardless of price. This is a lovely post to encourage folk that feel they can't afford to blog because of the price of DSLRs :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are utterly fantastic. Everything you've said here is true, I can't believe some people splash out hundreds of pounds for a camera they'll only use on auto. Seems mad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My camera before the on eI have was more of a point and shoot and I really enjoyed the photos it took. I was happy to use it and even happier to use it on my blog. The only reason I have a DSLR is because it was a gift from Kris, even then I think they are expensive, luckily mine was half off when we bought it :)

    I wish people could see that an expensive camera does not take good photos. Kris takes photos all the time on ours and his suck haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are great! I definitely don't think you need a DSLR to be a blogger, I DO have one, but I often post photos taken with my phone as well, since I always have my phone with me but not my heavy camera. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos! I have a DSLR, but I may never be bothered to actually learn how to use it properly! I often post photos taken with my phone! I wish people were less photography-snobbish, but that said, I can see how great images can draw people to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also don't think you need a DSLR to be a good blogger... My sister had a camera like this and it took great photos! For the longest time I used a small point and shoot and it also worked great! I think with good lightning any camera can do a good job. These are all gorgeous photos btw, when I first started visiting your blog I actually always thought you had a DSLR! :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never care what camera people have, half the time you'd never even know anyway. Mine is super old and the first DSLR I ever owned, and as much as I'd love a new one, they are expensive and mine does me just fine. I had mine way before I wanted to start a blog though, but I must say it's come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thees pictures are ace. I don't think it matters what camera you have as long as you know where to point it. The people who think you need one are probably too big for their boots anyway!
    A friend dropped my slr a while ago breaking my 50mm lens and the camera so I rarely use it thee days - I probably shouldn't admit this but I shoot most of my blog pictures on my phone at the moment!

    ReplyDelete

  16. It's not about the camera itself but how you use it. It's silly to get judged on what kind of camera you use. I've seen plenty of amazing photos taken on phones, small digital cameras and cheaper DSLR's. If you are able to use manual settings than I think that's the best choice.

    Too many people get disappointed when they get an expensive DSLR and don't know why their pictures are all bad lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. These photos are stunning! This post is excellent. I did a college course when I got my DSLR and my tutor made the point that it doesn't really matter what kind of camera people have, it is how good the person behind the camera is at taking photos. I know people who take stunning photos with their camera phones and I also know someone who forked out thousands of pounds on a fancy camera and other equipment only to be disappointed that her pictures were still crap!

    ReplyDelete