Tuesday 2 September 2014

TRAVEL: Lily Pads and Sunsets

Sunset Sunset Sunset Sunset

Sometimes fresh air can heal you more then pills and sleep. That was the case on a Thursday evening we were in Bay City when after spending most of the afternoon feeling under the weather, Joe drove us out to the Quanicassee Wildlife Area just outside of Bay City. With spaced out houses, field upon field of crops, it took this Yorkshire lass back to her rural days. 

The wildlife area has a small boat landing in a pond filled with lily pads surrounded by wild flowers, a couple were fishing, some teenagers on bike rides but it was ever so peaceful. A canal stretches out with a footpath running alongside takes you down to Lake Huron. On a late summers eve the walk was the perfect time to catch the slowly setting sun with the echoes of frogs and crickets bouncing off the marsh grasses surrounding the bay.

When you live in the burbs, you forget just how quiet rural life can be.


Quanicassee Wildlife Area
Essexville, MI


16 comments:

  1. Utterly gorgeous! It's always good to get away from it all and breathe in some fresh air ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a pretty place, I love the last photo :)


    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another next time you're up in Bay City suggestion....head a little further east and go to Fish Point. Basically go out on M-25 past where you were for these pictures and you'll see the sign for Fish Point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely miss the green fields and countryside ofYorkshire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the coastline I will be honest. Not the weather though!

      Delete
  5. It's so pretty! I love lily ponds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the first photo! I agree, I like to get out and into the grass and fields when things aren't going so great. Immediately outside out house we live on the main road and we're on the edge of the town, but we can reach at least some nature after about 20mins of walking out the door which I love. I love going down to the railway and listening to the trains go by.

    The map is fascinating me, it's such a grid! Even the green seems to have really harsh edges. Is it really like that, or is that just the map?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I think it's the map - if you adjust it to the satellite view, that's how it was then it appeared when I was there. Everything at each side of the "grid" was marshland, full of grasses as far as the eye could see, so I'm amusing they only map the "fixed" parts - the canal, the path because the marshy bits change with the seasons and tide. That's what I'm going to assume :)

      Delete
  7. I completely agree that air can heal you more than pills and sleep! These photos are so beautiful, it looks so relaxing and calm, I love being by the water and it is even better at sunrise or sunset

    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those lily pads! They're so calming for some reason :)

    Chelsea | Chow Down by the Bay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pictures. .. you could almost be in God's Own there.... x

    ReplyDelete
  10. New look on your blog, probably not new but I was out so new for me - it looks awesome anyway. Fresh air is the best medicine for a blue day, at least in my case. The pictures are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just catching up! Such beautiful photos. Sometimes all you need is a little time out somewhere nice and quiet to feel better :)
    Debi x

    ReplyDelete