Wednesday 17 June 2015

GREEN FINGERS: On Growing Something From a Cutting

Sedum

They in the know, say one of the easiest things you can attempt to take, and grow a cutting from is a Sedum plant. Easy for the lass who has killed a couple of cacti in her time (yes really). Well established in our garden was such a plant, but I can never have enough plants and plants for free, that's even better.

Growing a plant from a cutting actually ended up on my 30 before 30 list which I can happily tick off as completed. But the story started back in late autumn when I basically took one of the stalks of my Carl Sedum (they have pretty pink flowers throughout summer), popped them in water till about March and then planted them into some soil. It's that foolproof.

Sedum

I think it took about a month, maybe less for the roots to start showing and they don't seem to have an issue with staying for a while in their watery bath. But it was high time they got their feet in some soil so being the green fingered recycler that I am, their new home became old baked bean cans (although I wasn't hipster enough to spray paint them pastel shades, but I did remember to take the label off so that's something).

Sedum

Now we're in June, all three are now happily planted out, and more importantly surviving around the garden. The picture below shows the first one after it was just planted out a couple of months ago, it's probably quadrupedal in size already, it's pretty awesome watching them grow so quickly. The Carl variety of Sedums are well loved by butterflies too which is an added bonus with my attempt at creating and butterfly loving garden. Once autumn rolls around again I'm certainly going to be taking a lot more cuttings.

Sedum

I have to be honest, I'm a little pleased with myself that I haven't kill them ... yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment