Monday 2 November 2009

Starting off the new month with an award!

I'm rather delighted, my blog has won an award thanks to the lovely blog Madeleine's Wunderkammer! What a great way to start off a new month, so in order to continue and to accept the award there are certain little things a blogger must do:
a) Nominate three more blogs for the award
b) Answer a few questions about myself

So questions first ...

What's your current obsession?
Apart from daydreaming about tattoos and searching the net for compacts, I have a current "thing" for merely putting in "1930s" into ebay and seeing what comes up, and then wishing I had the money to buy everything I spot. Also just a tad obsessed with moving back to Newcastle somehow.

What's your zodiac sign?
Being a Libra, I'm apparently meant to be balanced which is far from reality and honestly I don't really follow or go into the horoscope thing.

What am I wearing today?
Normally I really am just a jeans girl and a nice top I just find them comfy but practical enough to do whatever that needs doing. So today its black jeans, pink lazy primark top and knitted Arron cardy, comfy but warm!

What's your latest purchase?
The last thing I happened to buy was on Friday when I went to York and while I was buying the dress that is mentioned in a previous posting for my MA graduation in December, I also happened to wander into HMV and came across yet another Betty Grable film from 1940, Down Argentine Way - can't wait to get around to hiding the time to give it the attention it deserves!
What do you think of the girl that gave you the award?
I love Madeleine's blog, its such a delight to see pictures of Durham because that's where a part of my family is from and she has great taste in tea and chocolates!

What do you have for dinner?
Dinner as in lunch or dinner as in tea? This is the north/south, UK/USA spilt of terms. But anyway yesterday dinner [lunch] was roast chicken and veg, and dinner [tea] was ham sarnies and lemon cheesecake]

What's your favourite decade?
I kinda surround and predominately read and be interested in any decade between 1910 to the 1960s for one reason or another, be it the movies, people or the music. But I guess at a push I would have to say the 1930s. Even though it was a dark decade of economic depression the films especially the musicals had so much gaiety and enjoyment that seems to be missing from contemporary society.

What are your must haves for summer?
Being a tattoo'd girlie sunlotion is the thing I get addicted too, mainly because they are on the top of my back and my shoulders which WHEN the sun actually does come out they always catch the rays.

What is your favourite piece in your closest?
My current jacket, its a light jacket so will probably have to be hung away for the winter soon and it is bright red but I just love it. I feel for it when I first saw it in New Look last summer and for £25, it was a total steal. It reminds me, and probably half the reason I brought it because it reminds me of the coat Audrey Hepburn wears [see following image] within Funny Face, while mine is more fitted around the middle it has a certain elegant simplicity to it. And being red - well I just love it and every girl needs colour in her wardrobe!
What is your dream job?
Right now - any job. But seriously I'd love to be a visual researcher and lecturer - just an excuse and a paid way of looking and analysing pictures all day!

What's your favourite magazine?
I'll be honest I rarely read magazines mainly because I just don't find they either appeal to my ideals or my style. If I ever pick up a magazine it will either be one jam packed filled with tattoo's or be one of my mams so it would be either Hello or Woman's Own. I think I read the TV magazine more then I read any of the magazines filling the UK market telling the best sex moves or how to get a guy with page after page of endless adverts of skinny models wearing clothes so out of my price range.

What do you consider a fashion no-no?
UGG boots, or just the UGG books with the messy hair, sunglasses in winter, coffee in hand kinda Rah look that use to be all over Newcastle Uni.

Describe your personal style?
Kinda random and just not very stylised. Most days I really am just a jeans girlie and being an hour glass shopping can be a bit of an issue. I think being in the countryside these days i'm just comfy and practical.

Who was your favourite Beatle?
Spilt between John Lennon and George Harrison.

What are you proud of?
Achieving my MA, it was a very last minute and I changed subjects from Geography over to the dark side of Sociology. It was a massive challenge going back to the basics to be able to not only to keep up but to be able to understand some of the basics. It was hard work, but its been worth it and I met some really amazing people that have changed my view on the world and university as a whole.

In a way I'm very proud of having this, my blog. It was an idea that was suggested to me by my friend as a place to express and at the time, get my anger out. I know I talk very randomly about things that are here and there, but it gives me a place to settle and share my thoughts and I've met some lovely people along the way.

So I'm going to take the time so say a massive thank you to everyone that has ever read, commented or followed my blog. It means a lot, so thank you all!

And my three nominated blogs would be;

6 comments:

  1. Thank you both for your posts and passing by my blog! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So great to see that you passed the award on!
    I also enjoyed reading your answers.

    Hehe, when I say dinner, coming from the South I always mean 'evening 8 o'clock type dinner'...!

    And I also know the 'rah' look so well, but never really understood why it is called 'rah'. To me they just look like a bunch of scruffy girls who can't be bothered to brush their hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking to my blog! I enjoyed reading these answers. I'm also in love with the 1930s! Do I answer these? I have to think about what I want to say!
    You have a great blog. :)

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a fascinating person - and downright excellent writer. I enjoy every one of your posts and especially liked getting to know more about the wonderful soul behind this fantastic vintage blog. Many congrats on your immensely well deserved award, sweet dear!

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your award! You have such a fabulous blog :)
    It was fun reading your answers to these quests and getting to know a little more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers all - hopefully this is only the start of me and my adventures into blogging!

    ReplyDelete